Sunday, March 3, 2019

And So It Begins...

6 weeks ago I handed in my 4 weeks notice at my dead end but permanent job; a week later my daughter (J) and I were floored with the flu which had me rushed to hospital with breathing complications and signed off work for the remaining 3 weeks of my notice. The plan was to spend my notice setting up my business along side working...so I'm playing catch up now with no definite income.

What made me take the self-employment plunge?
I went from being on a temporary contract to permanent staff status at my job; for a start the word 'permanent' scared me. My line manager, the only other person I actually worked with, informed me she'd been there 18 years and only just got promoted 17 years later because the last line manager left to full time care for a family member.

18 fucking years that you'll never get back doing the same thing everyday with no opportunities for professional development, no room for creativity or growth of any kind; no recognition, no pay rise and no job satisfaction for 18 fucking years?!

I've got dreams, ambitions, goals and challenges to fulfil and then it hit me: I don't remember what any of them are, I've become comfortable with in the box thinking, I've been plodding along and not realised-I had a full on internal mental meltdown while still smiling and wishing the public a good day.

I don't want this for my daughter, struggling along blindly in a job that only covers the bills bar £10 each month. I want her to fulfil her ambitions, realise her dreams and I want her to live not survive, I want her to thrive. I need to show her this, I need to be a better role model, I need to be a better mentor...I need to be a better mum.

I've overcome a traumatic childhood, I attended 17 different schools two of which were special needs, learned how to read and write at 20, raised a child alone, got myself through a BA Hons degree in English Language, Literature and Writing, home-educated my child who achieved her 'high school' qualifications (GCSEs) at the age of 11 and I've recently graduated with a Masters degree in Writing. It's about time I realised how amazing I am and whatever I put my mind to I always achieve.

BA Hons 2012 Graduation
MA 2018 Graduation

I'm capable of anything and everything...we all are!

And so it begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just About Surviving: Learning To Read Labels

Let's get rid of stigma, stereotyping and slag slating and start empowering ourselves and each other....This is a short play I wrote f...